Tuesday 3 February 2015

Semamori stitching...

A little while ago I came across this posting on the Sri Threads blog...

....about a little book of stitched amulets....

...called SEMAMORI....

...usually found just under the collar on the back of kimono/jackets...

...for the protection of the wearer.

I immediately became very interested and began to search around for more information.

I found a few references and photos...

...but, not being a Japanese reader, I couldn't get an awful lot.

Then I came across an advert for a little book (in Japanese of course)...

...that had loads and loads of diagrams!! Yey!!

Luckily, I have a lovely friend...

...who has a lovely son who is married to a lovely Japanese lady...

...and they live in Japan...

...where they have access to Amazon.jp...

...and the Japanese postal system!

Within a week, said little book was on my desk...

...and I was able to get on and DO. :-)

First of all I did a small "sample" book along the lines of the one in the Sri Threads posting...

...bound with a piece of my "leather paper" and lovely red thread...




A different amulet on each page...










Then...

...I made a start another one of my tri-fold creations...

An amulet stitched onto another piece of specially dyed "leather paper" with sashiko patterns down either side....

(The cloth used to strengthen the folds of the book are strips of old kimono fabric. Isn't ebay wonderful!!)



Here's the little "insert" book to be stitched in...

(Same prepared "leather paper" cover)




...and different amulets on each page...






I still have a little way to go with this one...

...but I'd like to share an absolute joy with you...

I had a good session on ebay looking for Japanese fabrics and clothing...

...and sent for a number of Haori jackets.

The first one came and was beautiful...

...but the second one...

...a plain black one...

...had THIS stitched on the back!!



was I delighted or what!!? :-)))

x C