Monday, 15 November 2010

..spoons with skirts!!

I finished the clay pieces by giving them another coat of paint...

..and then a light going over with antique gold wax.

The spoons were one of those things that "just happens"....you know?

Having a boxful of them...

...they would be useful for something...someday...

...they now seemed ideal for decorating with these little clay pieces..

..but needed "something else"...

So...

..Spoons with Skirts were born...






Actually, I'm naming them "Springerle Spoons"...

...after the Springerle molds that were used to make the clay pieces. :-)

I bought a few in Alsace last year..

..and used some different ones to decorate some Raclette spatulas too...




(another one of those "they'll be useful for something" purchases!)

These will all be on my stall for Christmas Crafts.



There have been other things going on here too...

...I learned a new stitch used in Indian embroidery...

It's called CHEMANTHI or CHEMANTHY....

(here's a link to a tutorial for the stitch)

(and here's a link to some really great video hand stitch tutorials - thanks Deanna!)

...so had to make use of it.



..along with satin-stitched triangles



..running stitch with beading....


..and machine and hand running stitch.

All done with my own hand dyed threads and fabric :-)


The finished panel...




..will now be made up into a "gathering pouch" or small purse with a long shoulder strap.

Then...

..I'm going to have a go at this kind of stitching...



...on the next one.

23 comments:

Rachel said...

What is the new Indian Embroidery stitch? It looks fascinating!

Abigail Thomas said...

lovely little spoons and i love the panel - the triangles are very evergreen tree like. everywhere people seem to be in christmas production mode; me too!

ArtPropelled said...

LOVE the new panel and the new stitch!! I can't wait for the first Christmas market to read all about it. You should do very well Chris!

Chris Gray said...

Rachel - I've just put in a link to a tutorial for CHEMANTHY/CHEMANTHI stitch...

I love doing it...and it's not difficult!

Abigail - I think everyone likes doing "Christmas" :-)

Robyn - Thanks! I hope you're right :-))

deanna7trees said...

such beautiful stitching and panel. and thanks for the tutorial.
there are some great stitch videos on: http://www.needlenthread.com/videos
for anyone who is interested in learning new stitches.

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Deanna...

..I've just put in the link to that site!

ger said...

I like that Chemanthy stitch - might even try it... - excellent idea, making a "gathering pouch" from your beautiful panel...

Chris Gray said...

Yes Heike!...have a go...

...but be warned, it's a bit addictive :-)

I've been in a "containing" mood for a little while...

...and purses/pouches/bags seem to be a beckoning vehicle...

Karen Turner said...

That stitch is so effective! Love the idea of making the panel into a pouch.

suziqu's thread works said...

Love that panel Chris - the chemanthi stitch looks lovely with the seed stitching around them.
Look forward to seeing it made into a purse/pouch. Beautiful work.

Chris Gray said...

...thanks Karen and Suziqu...

...I hope I can get it finished soon :-)

JP said...

love the stitching - thanks for the links

bicocacolors said...

i love your artwork!
the fabrics is amazing
you are so telented

tastykaeru said...

Wow, that Chemanthy stitch is lovely! (thanks for including the link!) And the finished panel is beautiful too :)

Mermaid's Purse said...

Oh yes, love the Chemanthi!

T said...

really love your panel, and the link to all these new stitches is fantastic. I am going to have a go at them now. thanks chris.

xt

T said...

I placed a link to your post, hope thats OK.

xt

Tricks said...

What wonderful stithing, I have just discovered your work and it's absolutely great. I love the tutorial you gave, I adore circles you see so I will be trying that one for certain. This next one looks like it is needle lace? I have one piece of indian embroidery and it is similar to this. They are such an inventive people with their stitching and the colours oh so vibrant. Thanks for all the visuals. Regards Tricia

Chris Gray said...

I'm so glad that this "new" stitch is inspiring others too!...

Hopefully, when I have a go at something else I come across...it'll have the same effect again :-)

Thanks to everyone for calling by and leaving comments...I do love reading them.

Deepa said...

Hi Chris,
Found your blog through T (Teresa) . Glad you liked the Chemanthy and so happy to see it stitched over here :)
Love from India,
Deepa

jude said...

the panel is so rich.

Chris Gray said...

..A BIG THANK YOU Deepa....

...it was your tutorial that put me on to Chemanthy in the first place :-)

...and thanks Jude...

...rich is what I like...

...that's why I get very sore fingers sometimes :-(

Diane said...

all of this is just scrumptious. Rueing the fact that I must edit photos, finish a dye bath and list items. I would much rather be doing this...