Tuesday, 11 May 2010

..needing a change...

All the pieces I've been working on lately seem to be dominated by various shades of brown....

...and personal circumstances dictate that a "happier palette" is required.


Maybe I've been a bit too caught-up in the "henna" stuff...

..but I've now realised that I can still use the designs/symbols without having to stick rigidly to the colour-scheme.

Berber textiles are beautiful....













and colourful!....

So I'm starting a new sketchbook to shake the brown out of my hair as-it-were.

Pages of a square format Khadi book have been lightly washed with some Doc Martins Concentrated Liquid Watercolour..



...simply because I find it daunting to start working into a "virgin white" sketchbook!

Now, the flower palette has been charged with some brighter colours....



..including a vibrant turquoise which hasn't shown up too well in the photo.

Pieces of the Pot-permang dyed cloth will still appear here and there...

...but for quite some time I will be needing all the brightness I can get....

11 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Gorgeous textiles! It's going to be interesting to see what you do with the colours you've chosen.

Eva said...

Wonderful things. Great inspiration!

Penny said...

Lovely stuff.I look forward to the results. I hope it does brighten your life.

jude said...

a change of season.

Chris Gray said...

...changes everywhere....

ancientcloth said...

Love all the embroidery and woven fabric. Turquoise is always a favorite color of mine. I wish you
"colorful days!"
:)

p.s. I need color too! It just cheers and brightens my day :)

Chris Gray said...

..turquoise will always make things come alive...

..but I do wish it wouldn't stain my fingers so much when it's in the dyepot! :-o

JP said...

look forward to seeing where this leads

Dee / Cloth Company said...

thanks for the beautiful pix of the textiles... good idea to find a small place where you can control the outcome (or dictate somewhat) and go for brightness and cheer there... hope it has the intended effect.

Do said...

I hope I don't offend you by saying this, but I think if you really really want to make a change, you should change your colours even more drastically! They still look very brown and near brown to me. (even though you say the colours don't really stand out in the picture..)

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Do!... no offence taken....I'd already thought much the same, and the sketchbook pages are looking a lot brighter....

..they'll be in the next posting :-)