Friday, 7 May 2010

..dye pot.......print block.....

I thought I'd have a go at some slightly larger pieces of fabric dyeing.....

...(I tend to do small normally..)

So, grabbing a bobbin of garden twine that was sitting on the kitchen windowsill...

..I tied up a dampened piece of plain cream cotton to dunk in the bubbling pot of purple Potassium Permangonate......



..which, of course, turns everything a lovely shade of tan/brown!

The next piece was tied with some thin cotton warp thread..



..that produced a slightly different pattern.

A plain piece of fabric that had some unwanted splodges on it got used to try out the new Tifinagh script print blocks that I made a couple of days ago....



..so I now have plenty to play with over the next week! :-)))

7 comments:

JP said...

I've oonly been away for a week and I can't believe all the wonderful things you've finished - they are all so lovely

Eva said...

The symbols look so clean and crisp. Must be the secret of your printing ink.

Chris Gray said...

Thanks JP...hope you enjoyed your holiday..

and Eva....

No secret....household emulsion paint! :-)

It's cheap; available everywhere; in loads of colours; and works beautifully on fabric (as long as it's not to be worn because it's a bit stiff)

Kaye Turner said...

You got some really nice effects there with the dyeing. I'll admit I was surprised by the emulsion paint!

Jackie said...

Thats lovely but I am always reluctant to use it becasue I read that it fades quite qickly. Did you use a fixative ?

Chris Gray said...

Emulsion paint is good stuff!....print;dry;iron...and it's there for ever.

Hubby says the pot permang should be stable when brown...although the purple stage gives up after about 3 days.

I'll maybe put a piece of cloth on a sunny windowsill and see if it degrades at all...

ancientcloth said...

I am loving your symbol blocks!
Fabulous! I look forward to seeing
what you do with them.
:)