Sunday, 4 January 2015

Results ....and plans.....

Here are a few piccies of yesterday's Batik piece....

...sprayed...

...and "henna" applied. (I actually used some black fabric paint through a very fine henna applicator bottle)

I still have a lot of experimenting to do...

...and need a nice fine Tjanting tool!







I'm not too unhappy with my first foray results...

...although I do need to find a way of getting more of the wax out of the fabric...

...any advice out there?

I've used a Berber henna design here and will be continuing with this theme for a little while...

...not just on fabric with Batik techniques...

...but in some tri-fold books and other small sample pieces...

...as I'll be in North Africa on two cruises this year visiting Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco.

This morning I was lucky enough to find the MOST DELICIOUS paint colour to play with......... Moroccan Blue!

...watch this space!! :-)

x C

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Love these results, I don't do batik but have heard that soya wax washes out better than other waxes.

Sue said...

Really lovely. When I've batiked, I've ironed with the fabric between layers of brown paper then layers of newsprint or newspaper to absorb the wax. It is hard to completey remove unless you have a ready supply of dty cleaning fluid or similar spirit.

Sue said...

PS I adore Majorelle blue, a rich mix of cobalt and ultramarine, as used in thee Jardins Majorelle in Marrakech. I find Morocco very inspiring.

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Debbie and Sue.

I'm using soya wax...and used paper to iron it out as you suggested, but it's still in there!

Yes Sue! I visited the Majorelle gardens in Marrakech too. Can't wait to re-visit the country and see different bits of it! :-)

x C

Penny said...

Little did I know, when I started following your adventures that I would be following you All over the world. I'm so very excited for you that you are able to take all these fantastic trips - and doubly excited for your students to learn beauty from you.

Diane Cransac said...

Those are really pretty Chris! When I was in the US I picked up a bottle of elmer's blue glue. I have read that it is great as a resist and so I want to try it...it washes out in a water so I really hope it works. IF I ever get around to playing with my dyes again I will let you know how it works. Wax always drove me crazy!

Chris Gray said...

Hi Diane,

I got on ok with the wax, but will be using gutta next time. I just need a couple of samples for the book so won't have to be up to my elbows in soya wax for too long!

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the glue :-)

Why can't you use your dyes?...are you allergic to Procion or something?

Maybe there's another product that will work just as well without the effects...

x C

Chyfey said...

Soya wax and a hot washing is the go

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Chyfey!

jackie said...

Thanks for your comment Chris. I would also suggest that you try Soy Wax,but it seems that you have. I don' t like the smell of Markal, good job that we are all different!