Thursday, 28 July 2011

..it's coming along...

I've done a bit more of the Australian-inspired punchneedle piece...

....and I'm very happy with the way it's turning out :-)





You may remember the "strata" piece from a little while ago...

...well...

...this one's following along in a similar vein (pardon the pun!).

I had to find a larger hoop to do this one, but realised that I need even bigger ones...

...if I want to do anything of any size.

So I ordered a couple of oval quilting frames, and they arrived today.

One's 8" x 15", the other 12" x 22. They'll give me enough working area without having to wast too much fabric in a round hoop.

I'll probably spend some time binding cotton tape around the inner hoops this evening...

...then work out how much thread I'll have to dye...:-o

10 comments:

ger said...

Didn´t know a thing about punchneedle till now... - interesting!, one would like to touch it - and your raku teacup´s just beautiful...

Chris Gray said...

..thanks Heike,

Punchneedle is addictive, and tactile :-)

..the Raku cup feels nice too..

Eva said...

2" more length is 4" more in a square and 16" more volume -- happy creating (and consuming thread)!
Well, no pun: This is beautiful. And the idea of strata (sand, pebbles, rock) goes so well with the surface of this rug. After all, the material contributes so much to the appeal.

Chris Gray said...

Yes Eva!.....it'll take a LOT of thread...and time...

But it will be worth it in the end.

...and strata will be feature again and again I'm sure :-)

ArtPropelled said...

I remember seeing someone doing what I think was punchneedle work when I was at boarding school, many moons ago. It really intrigued me then and seeing your work decades later I'm still intrigued.

Chris Gray said...

Keep an eye here....

...you be seeing a lot more of it :-)

Penny Berens said...

Miles and miles of thread!
Thanks for directing me to the Zeugma mosaics, Chris...older and so much more sophisticated. Just gorgeous.

Rachel said...

It's certainly going well. And wrapping tape around the inner hoops is actually quite a pleasant way to pass the time!

Chris Gray said...

....miles of thread...

...yards of cotton tape.....



It's a good job I love what I do :-)))

Penny said...

Beautiful work -- I love the colors and the design.