Sunday, 19 June 2011

Textiles at last!

...still in France for the moment though :-)

When we arrived in Mirepoix at the beginning of the holiday, a visit to the tourist office informed me that there was to be a "Marche du Couture" 21st and 22nd May! What luck!!

So, on Saturday 21st, bright and early, we went along to the town centre to have a nosey.







Lots of goodies!

...and these are some that I couldn't leave behind...

Lovely vintage buttons...




...and some beautiful old lace...











..delightful little squares..



.and some broderie anglais and cotton lace edging...




I've finally fished them out to photograph, but will now have to think of something "pretty" to do with them :-)

Maybe along these kind of lines...



which was done one day at the tent after this butterfly wing had floated onto the table..




I also found some really old hand-written letters that I had to bring back...






Such beautiful, tiny handwriting, on delicate papers.

I've photocopied them, so I have plenty to use and can still keep the originals safe.

Most of my time is now going to be taken up with preparations for the Festival of Quilts. Bloke is putting up shelves as I type, and we'll be assembling our stand in the living-room just to see exactly what we have to play with.

Boxes of dyed threads, fabrics and bits are piling up everywhere, but there's still a lot to do.

Today, I've had time off dyeing and winding in order to get properly started on some display samples for the stand.

I'm re-visiting my henna sketchbook...

...and expanding the theme....

I'll explain more next time, when there should be some bits to show...

13 comments:

Françoise said...

The old lace is gorgeous. Lucky you!

Eva said...

How inspiring -- these things that we come across by chance. This is one of the reasons to be travelling, isn't it? Love the handmade lace. And the butterfly art!

Lisa said...

lovely finds and a grand trip on top of it...how could you not be inspired? ;) looking forward to seeing what you make of it all...

Yael said...

Oi Oi Oi - you made me cringe with jealousy while seeing all that vintage stuff - the lace, the tread and yarn, the buttons - ahhhhh, sigh...

Yael said...

Thread.... sorry

Penny said...

What a marvelous trip - thanks for sharing all those wonders with us. Oh how I would have loved to be looking at all the lace and thread and buttons with you!

Chris Gray said...

Obviously there are some lace fans out there then! :-)

It was a lovely couple of hours that day...mooching about...rummaging in boxes and trays...wondering what on earth THAT thing was for!!!:-o

I'm imagining "pale burgundy" ...dove greys....tea dyed fabrics....walnut ink stamps....mmmmmm......and, of course, some beautiful beads...

Lynda Howells said...

I love going to Paris, infact anywhere in France because of all the bits and pieces l can find. i was in Paris a while ago and came back with old lace, cotton ect..beautiful..wished l had more money and a big flight allowence! When l used to live in Luxembourgh it was the same there. They love new things and throw their old "stuff" away or sell it quite cheaply!x lynda

tastykaeru said...

What beautiful treasures! Looks like we both came back from our holidays with additions to our stashes!

Kate x

Chris Gray said...

...thinking about a short visit to Paris later in the year...after FOQ...and I've already started a list of places to visit!

...there'll be a lot more room in the chariot coming back too...no camping gear.....just think how much lace I could get in there....

...definitely need more money though :-o

..and yes Kate...I think we did:-)

suziqu's thread works said...

And don't tell anyone when you are going otherwise they will be lining up for you to purchase some more lace for THEM! Gorgeous finds and those beautiful hand written letters are very special!
Thanks for your kind comment on my blog Chris!
Have a great day!
Suzy

Diane said...

Wow did you luck out...I always just find new cheap junk.

underatopazsky said...

Unahamedly envious about the market. I adore rooting through stuff like that. Love the lace too and looking forward to what you're going to do with it.