Monday, 5 July 2010

...Beyond the Border...and the dyepot!

It's been another busy week...

...more out than in..

..but I did manage to get somethings done :-)

Threads and fabrics that had been languishing in plastic food bags were an absolute delight when removed and dealt with!






..and I started some more stitched pieces....

This one's going to sit across the top of a large-ish cushion...



..and these cut-out Kuba shapes...



..will be used on the cushion, and on some brooches...




Saturday was gorgeous!!!...so the opportunity was grasped with both hands...

...and we went to St Donat's for 2010's Beyond The Border International Storytelling Festival.

It was an absolute delight, with entertainers from all around the globe, but, it seemed, especially from Armenia this year!

The group called "Bro Ar Men" are, actually from Bretagne, but one of them is Armenian...and to my delight, they had a guest artist with them...

..a superb harp player called "Myrdhin" that I last saw in 2002 when we were living on the edge of the Forest of Broceliande (where he and his wife run a Harp Summer School each year). It was great to chat to him again!





The next act was a brilliant Armenian "ashik" called Seref Tasliova, who performed a story entitled "The Stone Brides".



After lunch, we went to the Bradenstoke Hall...



... to hear Ben Haggarty telling the story of Gilgamesh...

...and then to hear another Armenian, Vergine Gulbenkian, telling "The Sound Beneath the Waves", a story well-loved by both Armenians and Turks.

The setting of the festival is beautiful......




..and besides the storytelling and music...



..there are many other sights to see....



..including ladies with hair extensions that I would love to have had for spinning!!!

10 comments:

Eva said...

Wonderful colors. And what a great event! I wish I had been there. Did not know that also the Armenians had Ashik, the name comes from Turkish "ask" which means "love". My Turkish husband told me about them and he said, "we always cry when we listen to them."

Chris Gray said...

He was truly amazing!...and this one is particularly well-known for singing the tale of Koroglu. He comes from the town of Kars, on the Turkish/Anatolian border, so not surprising that the names are similar.

I'm sure you would have loved it too!...It's on again in 2012...and there's a bed waiting for you :-))

threadmedley said...

I love the colors of the threads and cloth!! You know this is the palette that I'm working on right now. I'd love to grab a handful of your beautiful thread to use on one of my projects! What kind of thread is it?

Karen Turner said...

Your fabric and threads look really delicious. Probably a good job you didn't have scissors in your hand when you saw those ladies with their lovely hair...

The crafty Kaeru said...

Oooh, Ben Haggarty!! Sounds like a wonderful festival :)

Loving the fabric and thread colours too...

Manya Maratou said...

hello Chris, I'm Manya, been following for a while and admiring your work
I hope you enjoyed Gilgamesh, I was up there playing the music!
Sheref bey is from Turkey, of Azeri ancestry, the tradition is slightly different in Armenia
by the way, the threads and fabrics are fabulous, what dyes do you use?

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Jan...some samples will be winging their way to you in a few days...

..and Karen...if I'd had a scissors I would have been dangerous - those dreadlocks wouldn't have stood a chance :-))

Yes Kate...a wonderful day indeed...and he's probably going to be "On the Edge" in a week or so too...

Manya -How lovely of you to comment here! I DID so enjoy the performance Saturday...and was extremely envious of all the Tibetan bells and bowls :-)

..was that a ney you were playing?....lovely sound...so relaxing.


We had a really great day..apart from sunburnt arms :-(...and will be coming again in 2012.

I've used Kemtex dyes for years now...and for this batch I used Dyrect and Procion.

I'm in the process of getting a range of fabrics, fibres and dyes ready for sale later in the year, so I hope we get a decent summer that enables me to work outside a bit more.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Your threads and fabrics are to dye for lol :o)

So glad you had a lovely day out in the sunshine Chris

Love
xoxo

ArtPropelled said...

Sounds like a great day!Loving your new header.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

What gorgeous colors!! and I also love your use of the Kuba shapes. I bought a huge, beautiful book of African textiles to look at those, but couldn't figure out what to do with them.