Friday, 16 April 2010

..beginning a "Narrow Cloth"...

Postie has delivered some delightful packages in recent times...

....gifts from lovely Bloggers....


The first to arrive was sent by Jude Hill at Spirit Cloth..

and contained these beautiful pieces of cloth...





...and some tasselled edges and threads too...



The second arrival was from Jackie at Stitchworks...

..who sent some gorgeous printed fabrics and a delightful little book covered in hand printed paper...



A BIG THANKS to both ladies!! :-)

All the fabric pieces seem to have been just made for the Moroccan theme I'm working on at the minute...

...and I've decided to use some of them to make a "Narrow Cloth".



I've pinned out the pieces onto a backing of turban cotton, and put one layer of cotton voile in between...

...don't want it to be too stiff...

Probably some of the strips will have painting, drawing, and printing on.....

...as well as stitch....



I'll let it become what it wants to.............

17 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

When I saw the thumbnail photo in my sidebar I had to come straight over to see what you are up to. Gorgeous textiles! Your Narrow Cloth is looking promising. Painting ... stitching .... sounds wonderful.

jude said...

long cloth is such a natural thing, isn't it?

Chris Gray said...

Thanks for popping by Robyn...I'm going to enjoy this journey!
Painting, printing and stitching will be constant companions for a while I think.


Yes Jude...so natural....and I wonder just how long some later ones will be?

Abigail Thomas said...

they are so suited! the colours seem to be coming straight out of the images you posted of your holidays. cant wait to see the long cloth outcome.

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Abigail!

I've just popped over to your blog...and now added it to my list on both textile and paper blogs.

Fascinating stuff!...I'll be looking a bit more later.

The crafty Kaeru said...

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

ger said...

Whether long or narrow cloth - it must indeed, right from the beginning, have tassels...

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Do hope you are feeling much better now Chris. Your work gets more and more interestng and I shall enjoy following the story of the narrow cloth and what you come up with

Thanks for your comment today. It meant a lot to me as I haven't been having a very good time lately, so cheered me up :o)

Bye for now
Have a lovely weekend

Carolyn xo

MargaretR said...

I wonder what it decides it's going to be? I shall be holding my breath :)

JP said...

very interesting

Chris Gray said...

Thanks for all your comments again ladies....

...I'm curious to see where this goes too...

...but YES!...

..it MUST begin with tassels! :-)

nandas said...

turban cloth? ahhh. of course they must have turbn cloth...can you tell me about it? should i look for some in morocco? i love what you are up to... i so admire you and jude and all the other handstitchers... i can only do a little at a time now.. so i substitute the machine... but its not the same.

Chris Gray said...

Hi Nandas.....turban cotton is an Indian import here. Very thin, almost muslin weight, but a bit more body. Comes in all colours. Luckily I have a number of Indian fabric shops not too far away, and can get this quite easily.

Don't think you'll find it in Morocco...the fabric shops I saw had mostly western materials as this is what is mostly used now by the look of it.

jackie said...

Please you are using the fabric in such an interesting way. I hope it goes well

Diane said...

Cant wait to see this progress...

ancientcloth said...

I love your art!!! FABULOUS!
: )

Eva said...

Wonderful gifts. I cherish a j-pack as my treasure, too.