Thursday, 18 February 2010

...looking forward...

I introduced this piece here, after I'd done a small amount of stitching on it....

....but decided to undo some, and go a bit further with the stitching that I've seen on Afghan and Uzbek textiles lately.

Here's the result....




..with lines of closed herringbone and bhukara couching.

The couching was quite time-consuming, but mostly because I used an Anchor Pearl 8 thread, which really was far too fine for this stitching that has to completely cover the background fabric. (I actually used an ironed-on shape to work to - you may be able to see the pink showing through!)



I enjoyed doing it, but will use a thicker thread next time - probably equivalent to 4 strands of floss.

That was the last piece of prepared background lurking around, so I can now really start on new work. I've been doing some searching, on the net, in books and in places, like ARTIQUE, that have wonderful stocks of tribal textiles....

Here are just a few of the pieces I found there this week...



















...and there are plenty more to show later too!

(For those who would like to see more...I've uploaded all of my Artique photos to Flickr...and put them in their own Set.)

I'm now completely fired-up to start new things....

....but I'll still keep the essence of the old.

I'll also be taking it slowly, with thoughts of the many women who have also loved the feel of a needle in their hand, and the feel of fabric on their skin....

9 comments:

Mermaid's Purse said...

I like the pinky colours and looking forward to seeing what's coming next. Loving the shisha work and bright colours ......... great fun to do too!

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Shelley. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of this too! Takes a lot of time...but it'll be worth it I think.

x Chris

Rayela Art said...

Yummmm.... What eye candy!

My first introduction to Afghanistan and the region was through the textiles. Love at first sight! I love the organic quality of their stitching, the imperfections, the colors...

Then, over time, I learned about the socio-political context of these people and of course, the war has brought horrible images of destruction and death into our protected lives. Now I have friends from the region and love their humor, laughter and ability to bounce up from hardships. I long for peace in this tired world, for the day when we can all really just enjoy our common interests in beauty, in stitch and in life...

Chris Gray said...

YES!....we obviously need more embroiderers in positions of power in this world!

...now there's a thought.....:-)

ArtPropelled said...

A feast of textiles! Its really interesting to see how you integrate ancient tribal designs with your own style.

Eva said...

Right. I'm sure you will create your own pieces of distinct style and at the same time show the tribal inspiration. Can't wait!

jude said...

i like this line of thinking.

AeFondKis said...

Chris your blog has so inspired me! I am shisha daft! Really enjoy the idea of the glass warding off evil spirits and keeping bad energy away from the wearer!
Marvellous selection of creative textiles to fire up the embroidery juices!
Linda x

Chris Gray said...

Thanks for the lovely comments ladies......I can't wait to see where it all leads....

...and I'm now on a mission to find a supply of shisha-glass!...