Thursday, 28 January 2010

Back home.....and completely wrecked......

...after a very hectic week in Morocco!

WOW! What an experience! A few of us decided we'd had quite enough of freezing cold temperatures, feet of snow that wouldn't shift, and grey skies...so we booked ourselves a trip to somewhere much warmer and very different - both culturally and architecturally.

We were based in Marrakech, but took some fairly long trips into the Atlas Mountains and also to the coastal town of Essaouira.

Of course, pour moi, the trip was always going to be "textile heaven"....and it didn't disappoint (you'll have to wait a bit longer for more on that ;-)

It was an amazing experience to see just how others live and work. However, the abject poverty of so many people there was quite distressing.....and I'll certainly NEVER complain about our local refuse-collection service ever again!

I was on a mission to acquire a certain type of flatweave; to find some dyes to use in my work; and to take as many photos as humanly possible.

All boxes ticked :-)))

Here are just some of the photos for now.....

(...I'll be working on a longer, more detailed post to appear after the one for the One World One Heart giveaway ...which should appear here on the weekend.)


















13 comments:

Eva said...

What a wonderful collection of woven rugs! These woven rugs are so lovely. I wish I could peep inside all these houses and see what the rooms look like.
When I was in Turkey, I hoped to see some traditional textiles, but did not find much, because people think this is not "modern". That attitude can spoil the crafts world anywhere. How good you found such a lot of these things. I'm really looking forward to your coming postings.

ArtPropelled said...

Gorgeous carpets!It looks like you had a wonderful time. Can't wait to see more .... and what did you buy?

Mermaid's Purse said...

What a wonderful thing to do! Can see you had a great time - absolutely adore that large group of wonderful vessels. Yes, what did you buy?

Your imagination must be overflowing with designs & ideas! x

Chris Gray said...

Ahhh....well....

A beautiful Berber flatweave - about 1.5m x 2m....

A lovely Berber flatweave cushion cover....

A 2m long Touareg woven belt...

Some really strange seed thingys...(supposed to repell insects, but I ant to use them as beads!)...

A couple of lovely turquoise and hematite necklaces...

Some indigo dyestuff....

...plus a couple of other dyes that look like irridescent stone but when wetted turn either brilliant turquoise or brilliant violet...

A really comfy jellabah/dress with matching baggy trousers (purple)and a pair of purple leather babouches (slippers)...

A few packets of Ras El Hanout (Tagine spices), and 3 packs of green mint tea...

Some nigella seeds (which, when crushed or put into hot water give off fumes that clear sinuses)

Argan oil paste (like peanut butter)

Argan honey (mmmmmmmmm).....

and a book on Berber textiles.

(...and Yes!...I spent FAR too much...but what the hell!)

Now, all I have to do is work out what I'm going to do with all the inspiration gained during a very crammed week!

...THAT'S the difficult bit ;-)

kay susan said...

Wow! I'm absolutely green with envy! Loads of inspiration in those lovely photographs....

ann said...

I want to see the jellabah/dress and baggy pants outfit. Your pictures reminds me I have no room to complain about my workspace not being exactly what I would like it to be. such beautiful creations.

JP said...

well we have missed you - glad you were having such a great time - really enjoying the photos

AeFondKis said...

Chris, your trip looks wonderful full of Eastern promise....glad to see you have indulged your passions and come back with so much treasure! Textile heaven....

Chris Gray said...

Inspiration overload!.....

...but I'm going to spend some time in my studio over the next few days, trying to decide in what direction to go next...


...and I missed you lot too :-)

x Chris

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Such an amazing array of colours and textures! Beautiful and inspiring : )

Digital Misfit said...

How absolutely amazing! It must have been such a dream to see so many beautiful and authentic textiles in one place.
Glad you had a safe trip, and thank you for sharing your photos.
I LOVE my textile art, which arrived last week.
hugs,
Heidi

ps - my OWOH is up on my blog now, so pop by for a visit.

Threadhead said...

Absoluitely beautiful! Thanks for sharing these pictures!

gabriela
treasuregab@yahoo.com
OWOH#322

Sunny -- aka Matriarch said...

Such beauty! You must have been in heaven (except for the garbage thing). The rugs hanging from the roofs particularly struck me. The brilliance of color against the brown houses. wow. I'm glad you found what you went seeking. Hope to hear all about it in future posts.