Monday, 18 January 2010

...amazing stitching!.....

I've recently aquired a textile from Afghanistan...(from Rayela)

...an embroidered Pastun bodice (circa 1970s)....(the Pastun are the largest ethnic group in the country and who also make up a large proprtion of the population of northern Pakistan and Pakistani Kashmir)

I'm completely blown-away by the needlework that has gone into making this...

..just look at the stitching...(click for closer views)








The beige stitching was originally a bright jade green...still visible on the reverse of the piece that had been protected by a brown lining fabric.

The original background colour was a really bright pink - and the applied braids bright silver/gold.


Here's a photo of the complete piece..






I am in total admiration of the woman who made this!....a bodice for a small child...who probably felt like a princess when she put it on for the first time.

There are also traces of the skirt material....bright pink with gold lines in the weave.

The dress must have been stunning!

Yesterday evening, I had a go at one of the stitches used - open chain (or square chain)....on a piece of fine linen....

I'm not going to show the results!

I couldn't get the stitches close enough...even with a very fine needle....and I now have to admit that my eyesight isn't what it used to be! :-(




I did manage to finish another piece of my own work though...

...a sample for some workshops later in the year.








..intricate....


...but no-where near as delicate as the Afghan bodice.

15 comments:

Eva said...

Yes. Beautiful. But you don't have to hide either!

ger said...

Perhaps not as delicate as the Afghan bodice - but pretty convincing, too... + the colours of both correspond so pleasingly

Susan said...

Both are beautiful. they are lovely together.

AeFondKis said...

Hi Chris love the embroidery work of the bodice, yes hard to believe a woman has painstakingly done this. I love your work too very ethnic feel to it.
Linda

Fiber Focus said...

Aha! Now I see why you bought the second bodice. I am so happy that they are going to someone who truly appreciates them. I held on to them for a long time, but never did anything with them, so now they are in your loving hands. I wonder how many people have handled them over time and I wonder how many people will handle our pieces after we are gone... Will they end up in a cedar chest, on someone's wall, or in a thrift store? Ah, well... the joy of it all!

Joei Rhode Island said...

Your design and work is wonderful. I'm sure many will wish they could do as well, when they take your class.

Chris Gray said...

Thank you all for your comments...I'm glad that you like my piece too :-)

..and yes Rayela....I just HAD to have the second one....

..don't know WHAT will happen to them in years to come...but for now they'll be safe here with me, where I can imagine the stories of both the woman who made it, and the child that wore it....

Sweetpea said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful Afgani stitching. And thank you for sharing yours, which I think is just as beautiful in an entirely different way...

Inspiring!!

Ruth O'Leary said...

Do you think the stitching might be tambour work, done with a hook rather than a needle? I have a rug that's probably from a similar area, and I'm pretty sure that's how that was worked. May be worth a try?

ArtPropelled said...

Both pieces appeal to me in different ways. I love the tribal designs on the Afghan bodice.
Your piece draws my eye immediately. It is rich and exciting.

JP said...

Chris these new pieces are beautiful - stop beating yourself up!!!!!!

Chris Gray said...

Thanks to all you other ladies for your lovely comments...

Ruth...I checked the stitching, front and back, very carefully...the stitch is one called "kesdi" which is an open or squared chain - you can see the small slanting stitches quite clearly...other rows are done in a very close buttonhole stitch...I've done some tambour work in the past..and this certainly isn't it. I put it under a very strong magnifying glass to check the stitches so that I could identify them and then have a go...Thanks for the suggestion though :-)

Glad you like the new piece Robyn....and JP...don't worry...I don't beat myself up too hard...it's just the perfectionist in me ;-)

I'm taking a little trip now....so will report back in upon return..

Thanks again for all of your comments...they really are much appreciated.

x Chris

jude said...

i see you purchase and your own work as touching each other in a very profound way. moving closer.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

What an amazingly beautiful post Chris. I love the bodice colours and stitchng and I love your sampler piece too. Your machine and hand stitching is just as beautiful and both have their place. They would look great alongside each other

Happy weekend
Carolyn ♥

Gloria said...

Hello Chris. I'm so happy to have discovered your blog via a whole lot of "linking" that started with a post about Slow Cloth on Lotta Helleborg's lovely blog, "inleaf".
Your work is beautiful and thank's very much for the photos of Morocco! Best...