Monday, 22 June 2009

.....looking forwards.......

....and a bit "backwards" too......



After a "fit of the blues" day yesterday, I started looking through some of my sketchbooks.....

This one was started a little while ago, but had to be left "on-hold" because of current work commitments.

...I'm minded to make a real start on this subject when I return from my French holiday at the end of July....

I've always loved architecture - and the vernacular architecture in France is an absolute GIFT for me! Quaint; imposing; .....whatever you may call it...it is INTERESTING!

Here are some sketchbook pages with drawings of architectural "features" - doors, windows.... I love the details....









The last one I've already had a "go" at.....



...using the embellisher, and some hand and machine stitching...

I was quite pleased with the result, but need to do a lot more "experimenting" before I get something that I'm REALLY happy with.

Here's another page.....this was an amazing stone sarcophagus set into the church wall at St Nectaire in the Auvergne....it transfixed me....(weird eh?)



..and I did quite a large piece ...again with the embellisher and hand & machine stitch....



Odd subject matter maybe.....but then, that's ME I suppose....



....Now.....it's back to watching glue dry!.....

6 comments:

Diane said...

I am constantly enchanted by the architscture here.It is so different from home.When we go to the mountains I often sit with my mouth hanging open like I'm silly or something, just drinking it all in. Where about are you going to be in France?

Chris Gray Textile Art said...

Alsace - a village called Ribeauville, a bit north of Colmar.

Never been into that corner of France before, so another adventure is to be had!

The timber-framed buildings look enchanting - my sketchbook should be well-full by the time I get back (to say nothing of the 1000+ photos on the memory stick!)

Eva said...

This is so clever! No better way to translate stone into fiber art, I guess.

MERMAID'S PURSE said...

Love the sketches and the embellished piece!

Chris Gray Textile Art said...

Thanks for the comments ladies.....

virtualquilter said...

Chris,
Your sketches are beautiful. I love details like this too, but my sketching leaves something to be desired so have to use photos!
Judy B