Thursday, 14 May 2009

...latest "Tribals".....




I've been sloppy with my blogging lately, but my fingers have been busy!

Large Tribal Figures 4 and 5 are now finished (stitching part that is), and I've also begun a new format - narrow banners that are about 4 feet long. The first completed one is also shown in this posting.

I had a problem with Figure #4 - the felt was a gorgeous midnight blue, but was quite a bit thinner than the black that had been used on the others. So, I used some "Bondaweb" to fuse a piece of black cotton onto the back of the felt before stitching.

BIG MISTAKE! As I use a large eye needle for a lot of the stitching, it meant a lot of pulling because of the cotton layer on the back. Not a good idea if you are prone to "carpal tunnel syndrome" - as I am!

Result - hand in a strap for about four days and not able to stitch or play piano or hurdy-gurdy!

The inside of my wrist is still painful even after 2 weeks, and I'm having to wear the support at night just to ease pressure on the nerve. It's a real nuisance, especially when June 27th is looming, and I have a lot more to complete by then!


I'm going to make sure that the support fabric is a lot lighter next time - probably tea-bag paper would be ok. I'll try a bit on a test piece first though.





The "banner" pieces came about because I happened to have some long narrow pieces of felt lurking around. I'm toying with the idea of putting the finished felt piece onto a machine-stitched background - this will make then about 12 inches wide instead of 5". Not sure yet......


All I need over the next couple of weeks is some decent weather (ha ha! this is Wales!) so that we can get outside to do the necessary woodwork bits - bases and supports for the Figures. We've got all the boards, bits, router tables, jig-saws, blades etc ready - just waiting for a no-rain/no wind day! Well....one can hope!


At least I seem to have found my stride again - full steam ahead from now on.....

5 comments:

Eva said...

Wonderful! Especially the last photo. The combination of red and gold makes it look so precious and the symbols give it even more dignity. I love the wrapped plugs, it is so amazing what something "purposeless" can do.

Dijanne Cevaal said...

These are quite lovely Chris- I love the one with the blue- despite the stitching difficulty. I use a lightweight muslin to help stabilise- it is strong enough for support but light enough to easily hand stitch.colog

liz said...

Wow is all I can say about these:)
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I can't seem to focus on one thing at the moment, my head is all over the place, hence all the projects! And yes, thanks I did take your advice about the tester pots, which are great, Dulux cookie dugh is a perfect Caucasian skin colour! I do also have 2 pots of those very expensive golden acrylics, which are much easier for the little details.

Seth said...

These are so beautiful. Love the colors and the all the small details that can really be appreciated when the image is enlarged.

Mermaids Purse said...

Love the blue one! You might find "stayflex" useful for the backing - it's quite loosely woven and spotted with glue so not so hard to stitch through as bondaweb.