Monday, 24 November 2008

Strange Creatures!


Haven't got a clue what this little creature is supposed to be (if indeed it's supposed to be anything at all!). But "she" sits nicely into this old piece of leftover dyepot experimentation - I do at least feel that "she" is a SHE.

These stitched samples are going to be used in asian-style "cloths" - most of the wooden print blocks come from Nepal so it kind-of makes sense I guess. These will most certainly be "fabric-textiles", soft surface, soft feel.......

......but the "dark" continent....... now, that's different......

...more mixed-media here, more "sculptural" - some 3D/free-standing pieces, stiff surfaces with sand and grit, painted.....but with some stitch hiding in there somewhere......, earth pigments, browns, blacks, yellow ochres, and of course....those iron reds .... with a zing of turquoise to lift.

I'm away to play with surface textures and to cut some printing blocks........

3 comments:

Eva said...

... a vulture-headed dakini, maybe?

Chris Gray Textile Art said...

Damn........ I'd not thought of that one!!!!!

Eliane Zimmermann said...

Hi Chris, as I am new to swaps I didn't add a label to my holly leaf in your ornamentswapbunch, so that's from me. Beate was so busy that she forgot to add me to the blog roll (I joinded as last member). I expained in my German-English blog why I did the holly leaf: www.scents-and-senses.blogspot.com Cheers from Southwest-Ireland! Eliane