Saturday 27 October 2018

Inspiration galore......Thank You....Professor Tolkien!!

We've just got back home (again) after a few days in Oxford......which is always inspirational...

...but this time even more so...

...because of the Tolkien - Maker of Middle Earth exhibition at the Bodleian!





I picked up a few bits and bobs...or course...

...like this notebook, a few pencils, a bookmark and a couple of button featuring Tolkien's artwork.




I also got this lovely little tote bag with a drawing from the Hobbit on it....




...which I intend to use as a soft cover for another small book inspired by his doodles and artwork...

...and, of course the languages and letters.

I had already cut a load of templates and stencils of Anglo-Saxon runes before we went....



...used Markal Paintstiks to put them onto batik fabric...




...then stitched around them with metallic thread....followed by teeny tiny french knots and seed stitches.




These will take me a while...

...but winter is coming...

...and they are a divining set for my story character "Caria" in "The Near & Far Creative Textile Group" on Facebook.

I have been soooooo busy this year so far that this project has had to sit on the back burner for way too long......but, thanks to Professor Tolkien.....I have been inspired to get back to it at last!! :-)

More to follow as and when...

x C