Monday 30 January 2017

"The Quiet Music of Gently Falling Snow"

We went out and about on Saturday...

...taking photos of newly-found bits of Romanesque sculpture.

Our journey took us into the Forest of Dean...

...and then for lunch in Ross-on-Wye.

On our way back to the chariot we happened across a bookshop...

...and in the window was a beautiful looking book.

In we went and I asked the gentleman behind the counter if I could please have a browse through.

Well.....

...just to give you an flavour...


Listen.


In the still, cold air of early morning there would be only silence, but for the

quiet music of gently falling snow.


No leaves cling to the trees.

Beneath stone-hard ground snakes sleep, coiling in cold dreams.


Winter.

Not a bird stirs.


This is how it starts...

...this wonderful book by Jackie Morris.

(More books of hers here...)





It's a "lullaby for adults"...

...about music and musicians.

Large format, so it makes you feel like a child again...

...holding a large book...

...or rather like my Father holding a large book reading to me as soon as he came home from work...

...smelling of metal and soot.

He must have been tired after a long shift making iron and steel...

...but he never refused me a story.

Reading this book in bed last night...

...I was sat in my Daddy's lap again...

...and I swear I could smell and taste the metal...

x C