Saturday, 14 April 2012

French goodies and new work...

Of course I tried to get some vintage lace bits...

...especially at the flea market in Chartres on the Sunday Morning...

...but failed miserably!

What I did find there was this little book...




...stuffed full of "les mots sages"...

...that will find their way into some small pieces of mixed-media collage.

Just look at the marbling too....




So, with no vintage lace on the horizon, I plumped for new instead!



Luckily there was the delightful "Mercerie du St Pierre" in Montmartre, where I was able to pick up these beauties (for collage too).





(This last one will make gorgeous window nets in a not-so-little French house!)

Now a happy bunny!

Since I've been home, I've been getting stuck into a few new things...

..like brightly coloured Indian-flavoured stitching..



...and small sample pieces for my new exhibition theme, "Stitched in Stone", inspired by ancient Mayan stone carving.



This one is a complete departure ....

..and it's going to be both fun ....

...and a major challenge, because some of the pieces will be 1m x 1.5m.

Machine quilting is a new method for major work....

...I hope it all goes ok....

...as I have rather large walls to fill in August and November! :-o

7 comments:

Catherine V. Bainbridge said...

Hello Chris,

The lace pieces are exquisite! And I adore your theme of "stitched in stone". This is going to be exciting to watch!

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Catherine.

..it'll be good to have you along for the ride ... :-)

Eva said...

I can see some inspiration and new ideas in your work! Love the Indian bright colored embroidery and the Maya style quilting!

Shoshi said...

Lovely goodies you found, and I love "Stitched in Stone" - most unusual project!

Shoshi

Chris Gray said...

Thanks Eva and Shoshi.

Finding goodies is always fun...

...and new inspiration too.

It's the beginning of a new adventure :-)

Penny said...

Love the lace -- but I was especially drawn to your 'new' work. Beautiful colors and the Maya work looks exactly like stone etchings. I'm going to enjoy your new 'adventures'.

Abigail Thomas said...

love the exciting looking Mayan themed stitching!