Monday, 27 February 2012

..stitched but not stuffed...a natural progression...

After doing quite a bit more stitching on "la Bocherais"...

...it occurred to me to take the idea further....

...and do a stitched picture.



This one is actually the second attempt. The first piece of fabric was backed with teabag paper to give it more substance, but it wasn't enough.

It was quite difficult to get the design onto the fabric with all the dragging underneath the pencil....

...and with so much stitching, the cloth puckered too much for my liking.

So...

...after some thought, I came up with the idea of using some of my transfer paper.

It worked really well, giving a firm surface on which to draw and a good handle for manipulating on the machine. Magic!


This one is taken from one of my holiday snaps in Gordes. A beautiful little town perched high up.....with lots of nooks and crannies to keep any snapper happy!

Luckily, I've got literally 1000s of lovely photos to inspire future stitching... :-)))

8 comments:

Dee said...

lovely... I, of course, love the house motif that you are developing. Have you ever tried 'drawing' with thread from the back of your piece (i.e. bobbin thread will be 'right side') by pinning your paper drawing to fabric's wrong side and going from there? I have done a couple of times to good effect.

Chris Gray said...

Thanks for that Dee...

(e-mail on it's way!)

x C

Patty said...

Love these tread drawings! I use a product called Golden Threads quilting paper (No affiliation).

You can just sew through the paper with your pattern drawn on top. Then
only a gentle tug loosens the paper to tear off. Also stabilizes a bit.

Chris Gray said...

Thanks for the info Patty. I think my tea-bag paper would work in a similar way....I can tear it away from the back after stitching....and, being on the back, it doesn't matter if a few little bits get left in there! :-)

I'll have a look for that paper at the NEC...someone is bound to have it...or something like it.

Penny Berens said...

As I read I was going to suggest a solution and then with the next roll down the page...there was your own solution! This digital age has given us the luxury of having those 1000's of photos to choose from hasn't it.

Lynette (NZ) said...

I have been enjoying seeing your sweet wee houses...this is my fav so far I think

Chris Gray said...

Yes Penny! I don't know how I'd manage without my digi camera now! :-)

Thanks Lynette. Keep watching...there are more to come. Lots more!

Diane said...

I am loving your little houses and the natural progression... very quaint and you capture the feel perfectly!