Monday, 26 April 2010

..a needle in the "Narrow Cloth"....

At last I've had a bit of time to put a needle into the "Narrow Cloth"...

I'm trying to use appropriate patterning with this one...

...Feija designs found on old henna textles.

This particular one was found on a "Wedding Blanket" from Afouzar-Iligh. It dates to about 1952.



This is the pattern done in running stitch onto dyed fabric...




If you look carefully at the close-up, you'll see the little bleached-out lines in-between the stitches.

I used an "Aqua" pen to draw the lines for stitching, but it wasn't just the blue ink that washed out with water....the colour in the fabric went too!

I don't mind though...in fact I quite like the result.

I also thought I'd like some specifically dyed silks to work with these henna-inspired textile pieces....

....so, out came the dye pot, and here they are.....



And now...as it's nice enough to be outside...

...I'm going to make some print blocks to use too....

13 comments:

Eva said...

I wouldn't have known that the slight bleaching was not intended. Creating is always an adventures, and some good inventions stated as "accidents".

Chris Gray said...

..Yes!....serendipity....

..."Happy Accidents"...

nandas said...

i am very excited about this project... i will be following with interest! the little bleached line is charming...just a little trace. and dyed cloth it is on is so subtly warm with its stitching that the wedding bed will be inviting!

ArtPropelled said...

Happy accident indeed. The bleached lines add to the piece. The running stitch on the dyed fabric is lovely.

ancientcloth said...

The colors are beautiful and remind me of the colors I am working with now. I am fond of ancient symbols and cloth that has a history.
:)

ancientcloth said...

The colors are beautiful and remind me of the colors I am working with now. I am fond of ancient symbols and cloth that has a history.
:)

Gloria said...

These are lovely -- such rich, interesting color!

Sweetpea said...

Ok, well, since I'm originally from California I can say "way cool" and really really mean it.

Chris Gray said...

The colours are warm...apart from a little strip of blue that will go further up...and I think I'll be using that "Aqua Pen" again....:-)

I also like ancient symbols, and will be incorporating many more from now on....

...a cloth with history..yes, I like the idea...

threadmedley said...

I just discovered your blog and have read through a lot of your posts. I have an affinity for Moroccan crafts, especially rugs. I'll be checking back frequently to follow your work. Absolutely beautiful!!

Chris Gray said...

Thanks for calling by ....I'vebeen mooching around your blog for a while now....noticed the "Moroccan" theme there :-)

Mermaid's Purse said...

Yes, a wonderful "happy accident"! I've never used that pen since it left yellow lines on a piece of white cotton .......... odd how it works differently on different things.

Diane said...

Really loving the flow in this. Such nice stitchwork :)