Thursday, 25 February 2010

..Stitches and Sketches..

I've been "fiddling" with some ideas for my Moroccan pieces...

...not sure about the stitching on this though...






I think I prefer to use henna/dye to do these motifs...really cutting back on stitch.

Here are a few pages out of my Moroccan sketchbook - I jotted down patterns wherever I saw them...on tagines, bowls, and even sneaking photos of henna patterned hands where I could!





A lot of these motifs appear on Mid/Anti Atlas textiles - Haik shawls in particular. I love the triangular ones....they remind me of Old European Mother Goddess iconography... (more on this theme later on)

(Thanks to Rebecca for a comment that gave a link to the Henna Page...a really great site for all sorts of henna designs and lots of other information too!)

These are some Berber symbols painted onto goatskin - found in a little shop in Essaouira...



...will HAVE to do something with them ....:-)

I also feel that I want to use more natural-looking beads and embellishments, but can't seem to find a decent sized pack with a reasonable price-tag. (Everything's in tiny sachets dispensed out of a large bag....and then a big price put on the small item! Rogues!)

So, I'll just have to make my own....

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

for more moroccan inspired patterns check out www.hennapage.com. If you look around there is a ton of inspiration & some of the history of the designs

Chris Gray said...

...thanks for that! ...great site...

I'm adding a link to this post right now.

jude said...

these are great!
can i send you some old linen?

ger said...

Reminds me that I wanted to try henna dye... seems perfect for the morroccan theme... + I like the (charmingly oversized) tassels, just this afternoon thought of adding some to my Hands of Time...

Joei Rhode Island said...

Love where this Moroccan theme is taking you. Wonderful patterns.

ArtPropelled said...

So much to love in this post. I really love the wishy washy dyed fabric with stitching and the Berber symbols.I also prefer natural looking beads but for some reason every bead shop here is flooded with synthetic-looking, too shiny imported beads. There is an African Art shop I visit when we go travelling down the coast a bit and I'll look out for some beads there. Will let you know when I go. Now I'm getting excited because its been a while. I'll send you photos of the shop. They used to buy my totems when I wasn't so busy with commissions.

jackie said...

This looks v. interesting, and I really like the colours of your dyed fabric.

Judy Alexander said...

Wow, you have some amazing pieces, old and new. Love your work.

Cindy McMath said...

Hi Chris, I just wanted to let you know that I received my Tribal brooch from you yesterday - thank you so much! It is even lovelier in person than its picture suggested (as I knew it would be), and I will wear it often.

I have bookmarked your lovely blog for future visits too.

Cindy :)

JP said...

love this new work - feels very hot!

Chris Gray said...

Ger - I thought of henna quite a lot, but then went excavating and found my SetaSilk paints....I'm trying these right now...and tassels are good, whatever the size aren't they!

Joei, Robyn, jackie, Judy and JP - thanks for your comments on the backgrounds and theme...they, and it will be around for a little while yet...just as a bit of a change from other things :-)

Cindy - glad it arrived safely and that you like it!

Deborah said...

Nice!

Dee / Cloth Company said...

pretty pix... can't wait to see where they go in thread.