Thursday, 11 December 2008

Been having fun..........


Here's just a small part of my wooden printing block collection! I gather these wherever and whenever I come across them. Luckily, there are a few "ethnic" shops within fairly easy travelling distance, and they always have a basket of these things sitting around.

Sooooooooooo...

out came the box of dyed cottons and the other box with printed cottons from old Indian skirts. Mix them up with bits of shredded silk and HeyPresto .... you have the beginnings of a basketful of "bunting-flags"!.......

These are but a few of the (by now almost 100) collection. The plan is to sell them as singles (mounted onto flat sticks), or string them in 5s 6s 10s or 12s. Part of the "Tribal" expo stuff for next year.




7 comments:

Judy said...

Your wood blocks are beautiful. They almost remind me of Springerle blocks for making the cookies! Do you brayer your paints/thickened dyes onto the blocks and then stamp with them? I love the flags: so much color and detail to look at!

Guzzisue said...

do like your tribal stitching! I have wooden blocks but mainly bid ones hidden away somewhere-must hunt them down

Chris Gray Textile Art said...

I use a small piece of sponge to dab the paints onto the blocks - paints being bog-standard household emulsion (the Dulux colour samples are really good - you can have any colour mixed from a huge range). I blob some paint onto a ceramic tile, then dip the sponge in, dab a bit off if it's too gloopy, then onto the block. I made myself a printing board with plyboard, felt and calico stapled around the edges. It's quite soft so the blocks print well. If you have any blocks, get them out and use them - it's fun!

Eva said...

Hey, these blocks are great! And I think they are so versatile if combined that there is a world of pattern in them. And these great ornaments, I love them. I write this while listening to Adiemus. Some Christmas spirit is reaching even me!

Art4Sol said...

What a wonderful collection of blocks...they are pieces of art in themselves.
Darlene

Rainbow Chai Tent said...

Simply stunning ! I'd love to see more of your work, and the stories behind it, The studio, the Work in Progress, the materials supplies etc etc.....
I love learning about and 'meeting' fellow 'creative artisans' like yourself.

http://www.artnomadix-meg.blogspot.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artnommadix
and OWOH #878

Mermaids Purse said...

Love the printing blocks and the "flags" what a lovely idea and surprising how all the different colours actually fit so well!