Sunday, 22 January 2012

..house stitching begins...

I have managed to get a few things out of the way over the last few days...

...so that I could have a bit of time today...

...to make a start on those little Breton houses I showed you in the last post but one :-)


I have a couple of different approaches in mind...

...but started one to be stuffed.




I drew a full sized one on plain paper using a black Sharpie, then put it on the lightbox with fabric over the top. I just used a fine (0.5mm) 2B pencil to get the lines...

...the stitching will cover those well enough...

I made sure I put a piece of tea-bag-type paper on the back before beginning to stitch, as this gives the fabric a bit of stiffening and makes it a lot easier to manoeuvre on the machine. (Which is great for me because I hate using a hoop!)

I'm using some hand-dyed fabrics for these little houses...

..I like the warmer tones better than a flat cream :-)

The stitching is going to take a while...

...and I mustn't forget to BREATHE!!!!

5 comments:

deanna7trees said...

your last sentence made me laugh. i remember when i first learned free motion stitching that i had to remind myself to breathe. i also like your idea about putting tea bag paper behind your cloth as a stabilizer.

Mermaid's Purse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mermaid's Purse said...

Yes, breathe ........ I don't!!!! The house is going to look just lovely!!! Sorry for messing up, I seem to be replying to Deanna's comment ........ no provision for me to reply to your actual post Chris???

stitchinglife said...

Looking good!

Chris Gray said...

..I've just changed the comment settings as the other one seems to be causing problems.

I'm making a point of rolling my shoulders to relax them, and trying to breathe as normally as possible :-)

I DO love making these little houses!